Typhoon

Michael B Holt wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 00:55:00 -0700 Rick Lucertini <empiricus@sprint.ca>
> writes:
> >Keeping the canoe, but, it's easier to build a Typhoon style hull with
> >ply that to refit a canoe.
>
> Rick, how are you going to develop the shape of the Typhoon hull in
> plywood?
>
> Would it not be easier to make the hull of fiberglass, without a mold?

Actually, no.  I've worked with FG and it's awkward at best, although I enjoy what is possible with
it.

The beauty of the Typhoon is that the deck and bilges are straight panels; no twisting, torturing,
cold molding, steam bending, etc.  Here's an approximate cross section:

                 ___________
               .                         .
              .                           .
             .                             .
              .                           .
               .____________ .

> The stern is a wedge shape: very simple.  No cones.  The only challenge - albeit a minor one - is
> developing the bow bulb.  But, even that is very straightforward if you use ply molds as formers
> to get the arch shape.  A cylindrical hull requires a paraboloid bow, not a simple arch.
>
> I've made a try at several "full-size" sub shapes, using Carlson's Chine
> Hull
> Designer.    The problem is that there are more curves than Carlson would
> expect.   I downloaded Laine's Carene 5.0, but I'm still figuring out how
> it
> works.

That's certaily the challenge with design software.  Eventually I realized that some sci-fi
illustrator or Russian designer had already accomplished what I was struggling with: a hydrodynamic
shape that was easy to build.

I could literally develop it on napkins if I had to.

Rick

--
????กำ?