Re: Watching for surface traffic

Jonathan Shawl wrote:

> Rick Lucertini wrote > (please note, boys and girls, that a 36ft. catamaran flying at 25kts. will not be
> heard until the
> > sub's dome/canopy is destroyed - with your head in it.  So, ultimately, we still need an imaging
> > system of some sort, be it periscope or camera.)

> [snip]        Some times I use a floating divers flag on

> a 25' line so that is surfaces a bit before I do. I do this in shallow lakes along with a surface boat.
> There is one drawback to this idea. You have to be careful it don't get tangled on something
> underwater.  It's never happened to me but it could. 30 lb test fish line might be a better idea for a
> flag tether as it would break if caught on something.

Believe it or not, PSUBers, a simple clip (like the one I use on my keys to keep from forgetting my cell
phone in restaurants - just a tiny thing) is what hung up the Johnson-Sea Link (archives).

So, some sort of release -30lb test line, Velcro, etc. is definitely called for.  Cheaper than a camera or
periscope.

Rick