Re: crude childhood submersible death-trap fun

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:39:12 -0700 (PDT) Ray Keefer writes:
>I am sure this thread is off charter but I think is it appropiate to
>understand who we are (dealing with).
>
>Yes, I did crazy things. Nothing in the submersible realm but I built
>tennis ball cannons for lighter fluid, one using gasaline and a spark
plug,
>fire cracker mortor, blew things up, made land mines, dug tunnels, had
>Tracer Gun fights on bicycles, built a tailer for my ten speed for a
>cross country bicycle trip, tried to make a pistol on my Dad's lathe
>(BATF: I wasn't allowed to, so go away),....

My point in pursing this line was to uncover any good ideas that got
squashed by limited allowances and over-protective parents.

As far as I recall, I never did anything REALLY stupid.   Maybe a bit
hairy from time to time, but not potentially fatal.    (Except maybe for
the parachute.)

>I wish my kids had at least 1/10th of my childhood interests. Today the
>get their brains sucked dry by TV and computers. No praticle or hands
>on knowledge is being learned by our youth.

Yeah, that's my worry.   I'm trying to suck my kids into a project to
build
a couple of smal boats.   No luck so far.

>Sure Dad, I will be happy to play with it once YOU make it. Help? Me?
>You got to be kidding, I have a new game on the computer.....

I've heard that.

>P.S. Of course with all the laws now our kids can't really do much
>anymore without getting into major trouble. If it only saves one
>kid...BS.

Actually, WE are the ones who get into trouble if our kids get caught
doing that neat stuff we did.

>P.P.S. It is my hope in my old age that my kids fess up that they did
>do crazy things. They just kept it from the old man. So far I
>haven't seen any evidence.

I keep hoping, too.   I wonder what would happen if all the PSUBS kids
were hooked up by e-mail?   (Did we ver get the wives talking?)

Mike Holt