To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:50 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-600 Reconditioning

Still working on them! At this point the tanks themselves are done, and
I am painting them, but I have to do the mounting and plumbing bits, and
I haven't yet sourced the parts for that. These tanks are in addition to
the fore and aft tanks, not a replacement. The rationale is...

- I am very low on freeboard in open water, if any burping takes place.
You don't want to sit inside the boat during an hours-long tow, and by
the end of a tow the sub has normally burped quite a bit, so it can be
hairy boarding. Additional tanks will not add a lot more freeboard,
because once the apex of the main cylinder is above the surface, the
marginal lift required for any additional freeboard increases
tremendously. However, as the saddle tanks won't burp, at least the boat
should stay up instead of settling down.
- I don't have a VBT anymore, I've gone to fixed lead ballast. It's not
fun shipping and unshipping the weight of a person in weights each time
you go between diving alone or with a passenger. I am hoping to
permanently ballast for one person, and if I have a passenger on board
simply use a much larger "bubble" to compensate.
- Fore and aft tanks are great for adjusting longitudinal trim, but for
buoyancy trimming it should be easier with saddle tanks.
- I'm hoping to plumb the saddle tanks with much larger tubing than the
standard MBTs, so I can vent my bubble very quickly as it expands on an
ascent. On the Kittredge tanks I now have half inch valves. It's
certainly faster than the smaller original ones I had before, but for a
tank that will have a large bubble, I'd prefer the dump to be super
fast.

The tanks are 3/8" fiberglass, molded on male foam molds that I then
dissolved. Note also Greg came up with a very nice solution that used
off-the-shelf tanks for saddle MBTs when he reconditioned Scott
Cassell's K-250 "Great White".

I'll upload photos when done, probably in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks,

Alec