Re: Screw size and speed

Hi, I'm new to the list, but I have some signifignat experiance in powerboating......  Basicly I've been around and on boats since the age of -9 months :) From the bottom....

For ducted fans, both undrewater and above water, if the cowling is relitivley close fitting, efficancy can be markedly improved.  the propeller don't have the spill off at the tips creating those wingtip vortecies.  those really cool looking streams of bubbles comming off the tips of propellers are actually huge wastes of energy.  If you can, keep to a ducted design, and maybe put a grate over the intake to help get rid of junk that might try to ruin your thrusters day :)

When it comes to fishlike/whale like propulsion, it's been done........  bearly.  It's like the bird thing, we understand it, but we are having troubble dublicating it.  We can get a tail setup working, but the main body of the vessel is completely unstable, and directional control is very very weak.  Researchers are getting somethign of what they expected in efficancy, but control still is a major problem.

Basicly, stick to propellers, ducted preferably :)