RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Papenberg Depth Gauge #4

Jon,

  This gage if I remember him correctly was used to give an accurate depth reading while the u-boat was at periscope depth. An isolation valve was shut near the boats hull when the vessel when deeper.
It is scenically a shallow water depth gage.
  It is the curvature of the water surface within this thin tube that gives an early indication of direction the boat will travel.

                                                                                                     David Bartsch