[PSUBS-MAILIST] Papenberg Depth Gauge #5

This all started by Michael asking me 'how do I make one at home?'. Such a
question required (my assumption) something else than a set of drawings
and a few tips on how to machine the parts.

It was my intention - should my fragmented inputs spur any interest for
the instrument - that we all, collectively, could come up with something
useful for the PSUBS website in the end (as a result of a final rewriting
of my own fragments by including other people's opinions, questions,
proposals, advice, comments, etc., etc.).

I believe that we could get some very interesting web site material using
this approach. But it requires that the originator of a topic take the
responsibility upon himself to do the final editing (re-writing), then
issue this draft for comments prior to have a document of "instructional"
format officially published on the PSUBS website.

** For what its worth, I found the posts up until #4, to be
** lacking enough detail to comment on.
** It probably would have  been better if you started with the
** overall sketch and then showed the details in subsequent posts.

I'll try to introduce my next topic in a more inspirational manner, and
also be very clear (up front) on why I think it would be useful for other
people, and not only myself.

** The unit you are describing is very similar to what we call a
** "water level" in the States.

I agree that the Papenberger could be misinterpreted to be nothing more
than a "water level".

However, it's far from it!

It is a very precise depth gauge used at shallow depths. Together with
it's operational companion, the trim indicator, this unity (see attached
image) provides you with an excellent tool that you can use to bring your
boat to a perfect diving trim. Besides, it will even tell you how close
you are at neutral buoyancy as soon as you dive.

** It is the curvature of the water surface within this thin tube
** that gives an early indication of direction the boat will travel.

I could not say it any better than what David just did [in the above
quote], but I would still recommend everyone to check up the fourteen text
lines and two images available at Wikipedia on the same subject, ref
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus

** internal PSI rating of the glass tube and where do you find that
information.

I would simply determine its pressure rating by performing realistic bench
tests.

And I would probably use an "unbreakable" plexiglass instead of glass
tubing to avoid splinters all over the place should the gauge burst open
due to excessive depth with the instrument open to sea (ignore to shut
down the sea cock valve). Maybe even furnish the assembly with a small
rupture disk at the very top of the air chamber, this to prevent any view
glass bursting at all.

** Also, is the depth indication (graduations) as shown by the water
** column linear, or does it vary as the air bubble is compressed?

As Frank just pointed out, the variations will gradually get smaller as
the pressure increases.

To avoid a lot of tedious, repetitive calculations, I made a program that
generate a table required to make a proper graduated (non-linear) depth
scale. The same software is also a great help to determine the optimal
volume (length of scale versus air-cushion volume) for a final design of
such an instrument.

Finally, please note, that the attached image can be found in full size,
at my ftp server, ref
ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/instrumentation/papenberg_and_trimmzeiger/S302.jpg

Best regards,
Jens Laland