RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Papenberg Depth Gauge #5

   It isn't the most high tech device, but I'm sure it works better than most. The buoyancy indication is a great thing to have. I'm going to build one!

                                                                                              David Bartsch

> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:34:33 +0100
> Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Papenberg Depth Gauge #5
> From: laland@artematrix.org
> To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
>
> This all started by Michael asking me 'how do I make one at home?'. Such a
> question required (my assumption) something else than a set of drawings
> and a few tips on how to machine the parts.
>
> It was my intention - should my fragmented inputs spur any interest for
> the instrument - that we all, collectively, could come up with something
> useful for the PSUBS website in the end (as a result of a final rewriting
> of my own fragments by including other people's opinions, questions,
> proposals, advice, comments, etc., etc.).
>
> I believe that we could get some very interesting web site material using
> this approach. But it requires that the originator of a topic take the
> responsibility upon himself to do the final editing (re-writing), then
> issue this draft for comments prior to have a document of "instructional"
> format officially published on the PSUBS website.
>
> ** For what its worth, I found the posts up until #4, to be
> ** lacking enough detail to comment on.
> ** It probably would have been better if you started with the
> ** overall sketch and then showed the details in subsequent posts.
>
> I'll try to introduce my next topic in a more inspirational manner, and
> also be very clear (up front) on why I think it would be useful for other
> people, and not only myself.
>
> ** The unit you are describing is very similar to what we call a
> ** "water level" in the States.
>
> I agree that the Papenberger could be misinterpreted to be nothing more
> than a "water level".
>
> However, it's far from it!
>
> It is a very precise depth gauge used at shallow depths. Together with
> it's operational companion, the trim indicator, this unity (see attached
> image) provides you with an excellent tool that you can use to bring your
> boat to a perfect diving trim. Besides, it will even tell you how close
> you are at neutral buoyancy as soon as you dive.
>
> ** It is the curvature of the water surface within this thin tube
> ** that gives an early indication of direction the boat will travel.
>
> I could not say it any better than what David just did [in the above
> quote], but I would still recommend everyone to check up the fourteen text
> lines and two images available at Wikipedia on the same subject, ref
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus
>
> ** internal PSI rating of the glass tube and where do you find that
> information.
>
> I would simply determine its pressure rating by performing realistic bench
> tests.
>
> And I would probably use an "unbreakable" plexiglass instead of glass
> tubing to avoid splinters all over the place should the gauge burst open
> due to excessive depth with the instrument open to sea (ignore to shut
> down the sea cock valve). Maybe even furnish the assembly with a small
> [...]

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.