RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

Hi Andy,  For a Sub and tracking using the Sport or the 32kHz units.  How do they work for a chase boat to see where the Sub is?  Do you have to hold the instrument over the side of the boat in choppy water and get drenched or do you have a wand type of arrangement?  How easy is it to convert them if required?  Can they be used other than by divers?  Appreciate the feedback.  I am a potential customer.  I know that the Scubaphone have a Pinger built in but you still need a direction finder.  Linkquest have the full banana but it is 15k.   Chs Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of andy goldstein
Sent: Monday, 15 March 2010 4:38 a.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

Dean & All,

A couple of notes on the Desert Star products...and yes I have a sorta biased view...

There really are no other commercially available products in that price range.  There used to be a few other recreational diver pinger/pinger receivers, but I think Desert Star is the last man standing.  There are other more expensive units that are used for applications like finding aircraft black boxes.  Those tend to cost a few thousand though.

The sport and scout were really designed to be used by divers to relocate something.  Like, the anchor line, dive buddy, expensive gear, etc.  As such, they are optimized for that application, and maybe not ideal for use by a suface boat trying to follow a sub.  The receiver must be in the water to pick-up the signal.  This may be difficult to do from a surface boat, without really long arms ;).  They could conceivably be modified to work better as a surface relocation device.

And just for clarification the sport and scout both work at 72KHz,  the transmitters are omni-directional and the receivers are directional (45 deg for the sport and 90 deg for the scout)  The frequency was dictated by the availability of low cost transducers and size contraints.  John is correct in that it does not conform to the ABS requirement for a 32KHz beacon.  DSS do have other pingers that can operate at 32KHz, but they are about $1.5K -$2K IIRC, not including a receiver.  I think this is still on the lower cost end of the spectrum.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Best,
Andy

ps.  Jim if you are reading this, your sub looks AWESOME!