From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Perkel
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 4:30 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-600 Reconditioning

"These tanks are in addition to
the fore and aft tanks, not a replacement. The rationale is..."

Hi Alec,

It's been a long time since I've piped in, good to see your well thought out improvements, Snoopy is all grown up now!

What you are in fact gaining with the above is both reserve buoyancy as well as lateral stability, perfectly suited for
open water ops. You also gain a failsafe ability were one to loose a seal on either of the end tanks, the K boats weakest link
are the MBT's as designed for the reasons you've stated.

As for me, no time to build anything, plane, boat, sub, (or spaceship ala Madsen) but, I've been following in Jay's wake for about a year now
with the snippets of time available to me late at night in acquiring marine design credentials above and beyond my aeronautical base.
Eventually, I will draw up plans for various vessels as well as aircraft for the homebuilt market in an effort to fund whatever my retirement project
turns out to be.

In the meantime, an intrepid tinkerer such as yourself could take lessons away from Alvin, Shinkai and others in that the K boat's
are screaming out for a similar exostructure frame to mount modular soft tank, variable ballast (weights), and propulsion components. All in an effort
to improve safety, control and ease of maintenance. With your "Torpedo Tubes" on Snoopy you inadvertently mirrored a technique utilized from a popular
homebuilt helicopter design that uses a removable ballast weight to vary the W&B between solo and dual flight.

Best!

Joe