Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-600 Reconditioning

Pulled the VBT off the sub today without too much issue except for one bolt that was not stainless steel and decided to be really stubborn. There's not much room underneath the sub with the VBT hung between the battery pods making maintenance on it relatively difficult. It weighs in at 90 pounds so I had to be careful to pull my fingers out of the way when it dropped down. It clearly is the most corroded part on the submarine and the inlet/outlet pipes will have to be replaced. The tank itself appears to be in good condition.

With the exception of removing the port motor housing and viewports the submarine is ready for sandblasting. It has been stripped both inside and out. The port motor housing is REALLY stuck. I can only assume that one of the o-rings is displaced and causing the shaft to bind, but I haven't concluded how I'm going to remove it. The starboard motor housing popped out without much effort at all. I've been thinking about using a come-a-long with one end wrapped around a big tree and the other end wrapped around the motor housing, to see if I can apply enough pressure to pull it out, or at least get tension on it so I can pound on the shaft from inside and get it to move.

Photos at http://www.psubs.org/projects/1234567801/k-600stripped/

Jon