Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-600 Reconditioning

If the electrical cable is out of your way, then I'd use a block and a small jack across the hull inside. Once moving, the thing might just come on out. I suspect you've got salt caking to the o-ring. Flood with WD or some other penetrating oil--for days and days--and then go put some gentle pressure on it. Ahem. Gentle being a relative term, of course.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Wallace <jonw@psubs.org>
To: personal_submersibles <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sun, Nov 20, 2011 11:24 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-600 Reconditioning

Pulled the VBT off the sub today without too much issue except for one
bolt that was not stainless steel and decided to be really stubborn.
There's not much room underneath the sub with the VBT hung between the
battery pods making maintenance on it relatively difficult.  It weighs
in at 90 pounds so I had to be careful to pull my fingers out of the way
when it dropped down.  It clearly is the most corroded part on the
submarine and the inlet/outlet pipes will have to be replaced.  The tank
itself appears to be in good condition.

With the exception of removing the port motor housing and viewports the
submarine is ready for sandblasting.  It has been stripped both inside
and out.  The port motor housing is REALLY stuck.  I can only assume
that one of the o-rings is displaced and causing the shaft to bind, but
I haven't concluded how I'm going to remove it.  The starboard motor
housing popped out without much effort at all.  I've been thinking about
using a come-a-long with one end wrapped around a big tree and the other
end wrapped around the motor housing, to see if I can apply enough
pressure to pull it out, or at least get tension on it so I can pound on
the shaft from inside and get it to move.

Photos at http://www.psubs.org/projects/1234567801/k-600stripped/

Jon